Thursday, August 22, 2013


I hate being the one to hold back the group. Some might call me stubborn or say I'm too hard on myself, and they'd probably be right. I like to be the leader, and I can't stand being the person who is behind. This mentality makes it difficult to let myself rest, even when I'm sick or disabled. I know I'm being stupid, but I can't help it; that's just how I am.

Unfortunately I've been under such adverse circumstances since arriving in Spain. First, I got carsick on the way to St. Jean. Then, as a result of being sick, I left my iPod in the taxi. Finally, yesterday I got a blister on my little toe that makes it extremely painful to walk in boots. I walked 18 km today in flip flop sandals. 

The message that these circumstances hav reinforced is simply the fact that my body and mind are stronger than I thought. At first when I got my blister and had trouble walking, I wanted to go back and rest. I felt sorry for myself. Then, realizing how that option would have effected the group, I made myself suck it up and walk. After a few kilometers hiking (in sandals) I was fine.

If the Camino wants to tell me something through these experiences, it is that, if I take care of my body appropriately, it can do whatever I want it to. Despite being sick to my stomach the day before, I managed to hike 8 km on the first day to arrive at Orisson. Despite having sore, blistered feet, I walked 19 km today. If I can do those things while sick, what can't I do when at full strength?

Has the Camino taught me to be comfortable in the back of the group? No, not really. Has it taught me to be patient with my body's demands? Still no. I don't think the Camino has changed my viewpoint so much as it has taugh me my potential. Although those other traits are important, I'll need more work to achieve them. For now, I'm happy that I've had the opportunity to test and strengthen myself. 

By Alex 

No comments:

Post a Comment